Brother of Meghan Markle apologizes to Duchess in open letter

  • Meghan Markle’s brother Thomas has apologized for an open letter he wrote about the Duchess in 2018.
  • In the letter, he urged Prince Harry to call off the wedding, calling Meghan “snooty.”
  • Speaking of “Big Brother,” Thomas said the letter came from a place of pain.

Thomas Markle Jr. read an open letter apologizing to the Duchess of Sussex on Monday’s episode of “Big Brother VIP Australia,” according to The Independent.

Thomas, 55, is Meghan’s estranged half-brother from her father’s side of the family. He has made multiple negative statements about his half-sister over the years and has previously urged Prince Harry to call off their 2018 wedding.

In a handwritten open letter published by In Touch in May 2018, Thomas criticized Meghan for not inviting her family to the wedding, calling her a “jaded, shallow, cocky woman”.

A side by side of Meghan Markle, left, and her half-brother Thomas Markle Jr., right.

Thomas Markle Jr., right, is Meghan Markle’s half-brother.

Chris Jackson/via Getty Images, Gilbert Carrasquillo/via Getty Images


He also urged Harry to “end this fake fairytale wedding before it’s too late.”

On the reality show “Big Brother VIP,” Thomas said he “from the bottom of my heart” regretted the “terrible, vile letter” he wrote before the wedding, The Independent reported.

“And I want you both to know that it didn’t come from the real person that I am, but came from a very dark and hurt part of my heart… I’m not a mean person at all, and I have more love in me too than anything,” he added.

Thomas added that the original letter was written out of pain upon learning that Meghan had described him as a “far away” relative, according to the publication.

“I was very hurt and confused because of the amazing bond and relationship we shared growing up together, and all I could do was put up a defensive wall to protect my heart,” he said, according to The Independent. “I know it was very immature and wrong and I really regret it.”

Representatives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex declined to comment when approached by Insider.

Leave a Comment