Houston Mayor Says Travis Scott’s Deadly Astroworld Festival ‘Had More Security’ Than The World Series

Festival-goers leave NRG Park on day one of the Astroworld Music Festival on Friday, November 5, 2021 in Houston.

Festival-goers leave NRG Park on day one of the Astroworld Music Festival on Friday, November 5, 2021 in Houston. Amy Harris/Invision/AP

  • Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival had “more security” than the World Series.

  • Eight people were killed and hundreds injured after the crowd of about 50,000 was compressed to the stage.

  • The causes of death of the eight dead have not yet been released.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said Saturday that the city had “more security” at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival on Friday than during the World Series, and promised a “thorough review and investigation” into the deadly event.

“We had more security there than at the World Series games,” Tuner told The New York Times in a telephone interview on Saturday.

Turner, who said he knew Scott’s sister, mother and grandmother, but was not intimate with Scott, told the Times the event took place at an estate with security organized by the city. Houston police sent hundreds of officers to the event, in addition to about 250 non-police officers, he told the outlet.

Eight people were killed and hundreds injured late Friday during Scott’s set at the festival. The victims’ causes of death have not yet been released. As Insider previously reported, about 50,000 people gathered for the stage at about 9:38 p.m. while Scott was performing at NRG Park, according to Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña.

Those who died were between the ages of 16 and 23, the Houston mayor’s office told the Times. The youngest injured was a 10-year-old.

“The crowd started to squeeze towards the front of the stage, and that caused some panic and it caused some injuries,” Peña said. “People started to fall out, became unconscious and it caused extra panic.”

A video posted to Twitter earlier in the day by ABC13 reporter Mycah Hatfield showed fans having sweeping entrances to the venue, including “hundreds” of people “destroying” the VIP security entrance while others bypassed the checkpoints. .

In all, 17 people were transported to nearby hospitals, 11 of whom went into cardiac arrest, according to NBC DFW. More than 300 people were treated on site in a field hospital in NRG Park, according to the report.

Turner told the Times on Saturday that it was too early to say whether the safety efforts at the event were sufficient.

“I’m going to hold onto any kind of conclusion pending a thorough review and investigation,” he said, according to the Times.

“We do know that there have been several cases of cardiac arrest. What was the cause of that?’ he said.

“I don’t even want to overdose on drugs,” he added. “We are looking at all possible causes of this incident or the cause of the cardiac arrest. We are not taking anything off the table.”

Scott said in a statement via Twitter on Saturday that he was “absolutely devastated” by the incident.

“I am absolutely devastated by what happened last night,” he said. “My prayers go out to the families and all those affected by what happened at Astroworld Festival.”

Read the original article on Insider

Leave a Comment