October 3, 2021; Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States; Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield (6) runs the ball against Minnesota Vikings defensive end Dalvin Tomlinson (94) at US Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Matt Blewett-USA TODAY Sports
Starting with a reader’s suggestion, we feature a weekly “instant reactions” article detailing the thoughts and analysis the day after a Minnesota Vikings game.
This will be impromptu, a little “random” and hopefully revealing.
- It is absolutely the time to start Christian Darrisaw, even if it means you are not ready. Rashod Hill is the third worst OT in all of football for 24% of the 2021 season. Professional soccer score is 39.3. We are talking about the Dakota Dozier-Dru Samia territory. Darrisaw was selected to grow, mature and eventually solidify the LT position for the first time since Bryant McKinnie. Is the time.
- There is no reasonable explanation why Michael Pierce and Dalvin Tomlinson, two players with good individual performances, cannot stop the race. The Vikings rank 25th in rushing yards allowed. Mike Zimmer is responsible for a solution.
- Kirk Cousins has provided three tremendous games and one unsatisfactory one so far in 2021. The good by far outweighs the bad. Have some objectivity.
- Cameron Dantzler ranks sixth in the NFL among cornerbacks by PFF score. All of September was spent debating whether to play with him. Stop the madness and play with it. This is elementary.
- Whether the Vikings continue the Zimmer era beyond 2021 or hire someone else, find a way. no to squander Justin Jefferson’s rookie contract. A complete rebuild would certainly disqualify the use of a discounted Jefferson.
- Minnesota must score touchdowns in the second half. That shouldn’t have to be written on the internet. In 2021, they scored a touchdown in the second half once.
- Fortunately, the Vikings defense finally arrived. Soon, like this Sunday, Zimmer must present a competent offense and defense. If they are traded every week, the season is destined for .500 or worse.
- Danielle Hunter is second in the NFL in sacks. He is back.
- A Top 1 QB – no name Baker Mayfield – Would have desecrated Vikings High School at certain points in the game.
- Simply put, Kevin Stefanski surpassed his collective group of former employers, from Zimmer, Cousins, to the bottom of the list.
- DJ Wonnum continues to have minimal impact. He played 68% of the snap against the Browns. Everson Griffen produces more in fewer snapshots.
- The Vikings have created a win-win situation for themselves in Week 5 of the 2021 season. It helps that Detroit is on the record.
- If Minnesota loses to Detroit, the “fire Zimmer” speech will be absolutely deafening.
- The season should be rectifiable, if the offense and defense can simultaneously comply with the program.
- The only “easy” spots on the Vikings’ remaining schedule are the Detroit Lions (twice) and the Pittsburgh Steelers fighters. Everything else is tumultuous.
Dustin Baker is a political scientist who graduated from the University of Minnesota in 2007. He present a podcast with Bryant McKinnie, which airs every Wednesday with Raun sawh and Sally from Minneapolis. Their Viking fandom dates back to 1996. Guilty pleasures listed: Peanut butter ice cream, ‘The Sopranos’ and The Doors (the band).