Liverpool vs. Arsenal – Football Match Report – January 13, 2022

Arsenal played with 10 men for over an hour but were able to withstand pressure from Liverpool to claim a goalless draw in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final.

The key moment of the game came 24 minutes into the game, when Arsenal’s Granit Xhaka was sent off for depriving Diogo Jota of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity with a high foot that sent the Liverpool forward just outside the Arsenal penalty area.

The incident necessitated a switch from Arsenal’s tactics to a three-man defence, with Mikel Arteta bringing in Rob Holding for Eddie Nketiah. It was the away team’s second early substitution, after Calum Chambers replaced the injured Cedric Soares in the 11th minute.

– ESPN+ Viewer’s Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

But while Liverpool went on to dominate the area and possession, it was only in the second minute of second half stoppage time that they had a shot on target via Curtis Jones.

Their best chance had come moments earlier, but Takumi Minamino shot over from 10 yards after Aaron Ramsdale’s weak punch fell on him.

Minamino had previously come close twice from the left, first with a foul cross that narrowly missed half-time and then, midway through the second period, a cross that also went past the post at Anfield’s head.

Arsenal struggled to create scoring opportunities, but came close in the 72nd minute; After being found by a cross from Kieran Tierney from the left, Bukayo Saka was able to save a shot by advancing Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson.

“We are enjoying the situation,” Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta told Sky Sports. “The players showed a lot of struggle, determination, brotherhood. You saw the emotion, we never gave up. With praise for the boys.

“I don’t know if the red card inspired them, but it was a fight. You need a certain attitude to play in these games and the guys did. We played the game we had to play, which is not our game. I didn’t see it again, they checked it so probably a red card.”

The meeting at Anfield was originally intended to be the second leg of the semi-final, but the venues changed when last week’s meeting was postponed due to a coronavirus outbreak in Liverpool.

And both teams missed a number of key players on Thursday due to COVID-related reasons – Arsenal announced before kick-off that Martin Odegaard has tested positive – as well as injuries and Africa Cup of Nations pledges.

“We would have preferred to have scored instead of them getting a red card,” Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp told Sky Sports. “From that moment on it seems like we are under pressure.” [to score] and we had to change the lineup for obvious reasons [before the game].

“In the second half we made some changes, I thought it looked better and we had clear situations, but it wasn’t good enough. But it’s a two-legged game and it’s rest. I can’t remember when it was 0-.” 0 at halftime, wherever I’ve been, and I thought ‘we don’t stand a chance’. We’ll try hard.”

The second leg will take place on January 20 at the Emirates Stadium (stream LIVE on ESPN+ in the US); the winners of the draw will play in the final against Chelsea on February 27.

Give a Comment