The summer transfer window is closed for the top leagues in Europe! After a summer of international football, countless clubs waited until the last minute to complete their transfers. See all the big deals here and see how we rated the biggest signings. But just because the window is closed until January doesn’t mean the rumors won’t keep coming.
TOP STORY: Sterling open to move to Camp Nou
Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling would be open to a move to Barcelona in January, according to Sport.
The LaLiga club reportedly attempted a transfer for the 26-year-old in the summer, going through with a late loan in the window.
Although the attempt failed in the last week of the window, there is confidence they can strike a deal over the winter as the club have remained in talks with Sterling’s side.
The winger is said to have a high wage, but the Catalan club is willing to pay as it navigates the financial turmoil.
Sterling would like to leave the Etihad in search of more regular football in the first team. The England international has seen his influence and starting space at the club diminish over the past year, with the signing of Jack Grealish, highlighting the club’s strength and depth in the wider area.
Barcelona have struggled to score goals, not helped by the injury of former Sterling team-mate Sergio Aguero.
Barca have only scored 11 goals this season, compared to league-leaders Real Madrid, who have scored double that with 22 so far. With the club in 9th place in the standings, a few additions could help them compete again.
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access
– According to Spanish outlet Marca, Barcelona has held back from discussing new deals with three of their player roster due to financial constraints. the contracts of Ousmane Dembele, Ansu Fatic and Sergi Roberto have all stalled due to their finances, but the club still expects new deals to be struck. All three players will become free agents over the summer if no action is taken.
– After the extension of Lorenzo Pellegrini’s contract, AS Roma is focusing on binding other key players. According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Jose Mourinho will offer new deals to Bryan Cristante, Gianluca Mancinic and Nicolo Zaniolo.
– Tottenham Hotspur looking at a possible transfer for Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger amid talks over the player’s contract. According to the Daily Express, Spurs are one of four parties eyeing the 28-year-old, who is out of contract over the summer and has publicly discussed the Blues and their offer of a new deal.
– Roma follow the possible signing of Denis Zakaria from Borussia Mönchengladbach, according to Calciomercato. The midfielder is out of contract in the summer and although the Bundesliga club has offered him an extension, the 24-year-old has yet to accept a proposal. With a lower wage bill thanks to moving players, Roma think they can bring in the midfielder.
– AC Milan to bid forward Rafael Leao a new contract as his influence at the Serie A club has grown. According to Calciomercato, the Rossoneria received offers for the 22-year-old in the summer, but held off any suitors and saw him put in a good performance this season. As a result, they will be offering a new deal, the current one expiring in 2024.