COLLEGE PARK, MD — No. 4/5 Maryland women’s basketball team opened the 2021-22 season with a 97-67 win over Longwood on Field Trip Day on Tuesday. The Terps have won 13 consecutive season openers and 23 consecutive home openers – including all 20 at XFINITY Centre.
Five Terps scored in double digits led by Angel Reese who scored a career-high 21 points and grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds for her second career double-double.
In her Terps‘ debut, freshman shyanne Sellers scored 17 points, beating 7-of-12.
Preseason All-American Ashley owusu scored 16 points, grabbed six rebounds and provided four assists.
Mimi Collins netted With 16 points, 11 of which came in the first quarter, she also provided six rebounds.
Katie benzan knocked down 3-of-5 3-pointers to finish with 11 points.
Longwood was led by Kyla McMakin, who had 22 points and 5 rebounds.
Brenda Frese‘s Take
Abort the game
- After the teams tied at 21-21 after the first quarter, Terps took control in the second quarter, beating Longwood, 26-13 over that 10-minute period to lead 47-34 at halftime. Collins and owusu each had 14 points in the first half with Reese summoning 10 of her boards in the first 20 minutes.
- The Terps extended their lead to 76-47 after three quarters, with Maryland beating the Lancers 29-13 in the third. Sellers scored 10 points in the quarter by taking down 4-for-5 field goals with a pair of 3-pointers.
Reese advises against it
- Reese set new career highs with 21 points and 14 rebounds. Her previous highlight was 11 against Northwestern (3/12/21) in the 2021 Big Ten tournament.
- Most rebounds in a game last season were 17 by Mimi Collins in Wisconsin (1/17/21).
- It was Reese’s second double-double of her career, as she also had one in that Northwestern game when she had 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Double digit scoring games
- benzan hit double digits for the 83rd time in her career.
- owusu had her 43rd match in double figures.
- Collins scored in double figures for the 24th time ever.
- Reese was in double digits for the ninth time in her career.
- Sellers scored double figures in her first game as a mound.
- Freshman Salesmen (Aurora, OH) and Emma Chardon (Geneva, Switzerland) made their Terrapin debut on Tuesday.
- Sellers scored 17 points on 7-of-12 from the floor and had a rebound and an assist.
- Chardon hit one basket.
- The Terps are now 44-7 all-time in season openers, having won the last 13 in a row.
- Maryland is now 47-4 all-time in home openers and has won the last 23 in a row.
East West home is best
- The Terps are 567-136 (.807) always in College Park, dating back to the inaugural 1971-72 season.
- Maryland is 273-41 (.870) at home under Brenda free, whose first season in College Park was the first season of XFINITY Center, in 2002-03. That ranks among the top 10 most difficult places to play in the country.
- The Terrapins are now 153-11 (.933) all time in non-conference games in XFINITY Centre.
- This was Maryland’s third matchup against Longwood and the first since 2011.
- In general the Terps are 3-0 vs. the Lancers.
- Maryland has won both previous matchups, winning 85-40 on January 31, 2010 and 84-38 on January 30, 2011.
- Maryland returns to action on Friday, November 12 as the Terps host Villanova at 7pm. That game will air on Big Ten Network+.