Sergino Dest Barcelona future uncertain after USMNT star Supercopa snub

Sergino Dest faces an uncertain future at Barcelona after being dropped from the squad for Wednesday’s 3-2 defeat to Real Madrid in the Spanish Supercopa, but is determined to fight for his place, sources have told ESPN.

Teams from across Europe, including Bayern Munich and Chelsea, are keeping an eye on Dest’s situation, but sources close to the United States international have told ESPN he hopes to stay at the Camp Nou after the January transfer window and increase his value. prove.

– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)

However, sources at the club are not ruling out an exit this month. The right-back has fallen out of favor under new coach Xavi Hernandez and his departure could help fund a transfer for a new striker.

Barca have already signed Dani Alves and Ferran Torres this month, but Xavi would also like to add a number 9. Alvaro Morata is a target but Juventus, where he is hired from Atletico Madrid, are reluctant to let him leave without a replacement lined up.

ESPN first revealed in December that Barca would be open to offers for Dest in January. However, Dest would rather stay in Spain and fight for his place.

The players’ camp believes Xavi is yet to see the best of the USMNT defender. Dest has suffered several injuries this season and, at the club’s request, played in an unknown attacking role in November and December at the request of the club, hampering his recovery.

Dest, who also tested positive for COVID-19 in early January, is fully fit again and ready to battle for a spot at right-back with Alves, now 38, and academy graduate Oscar Mingueza. ESPN has also revealed that Barca are pursuing a transfer for Chelsea fullback Cesar Azpilicueta when his contract expires in the summer.

Emerson Royal and Arthur Melo previously took similar stances at Dest before being convinced to leave Barca. Arthur eventually agreed to move to Juventus in the summer of 2020 and Emerson moved to Tottenham Hotspur at the start of this season.

Barca signed Dest from Ajax for €20 million, beating Bayern on his signature. However, the German club have stayed in touch with the player since then, lending a loan ahead of this season with an option to make the deal permanent next summer for around €25 million.

Chelsea, who have lost Reece James and Ben Chilwell to injury, have also expressed interest in a short-term deal until the end of the season. Several other Premier League clubs are following the situation along with Atletico Madrid, although they are going ahead with a move for Valencia’s Daniel Wass to replace Kieran Trippier.

Dest, 21, quickly became a fixture under Ronald Koeman after joining 18 months ago. He made 41 appearances in his first full campaign at the Camp Nou, but injuries have disrupted his second season, leaving him with just 16 appearances in all competitions to date.

.

Give a Comment