BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – West Indian women’s travel plans remained unclear yesterday after the contingent arrived in the Gulf state of Oman from Zimbabwe following the cancellation of the ICC World Cup Qualifiers in Zimbabwe last weekend.
A tweet from the Cricket West Indies’ official account said yesterday that the contingent was now in Oman, but did not indicate how long they were expected to stay there before flying out.
The Caribbean side is on its way to the region, but faces potentially difficult logistical challenges after several major nations struck travel restrictions and bans on South African nations, including Zimbabwe, over the discovery of the new Omicron strain of COVID-19 viruses.
As of yesterday, the United States said only its citizens and residents would be allowed in from southern Africa, while several states in the United Kingdom and the EU have followed suit.
The International Cricket Council abandoned the nine-match qualifying tournament on Saturday and rushed to fly teams out of Zimbabwe.
“That [International Cricket Council] has made all the arrangements for the team and is working hard to get them home to the Caribbean as quickly and as safely as possible, ”tweeted CWI.
When they spoke at an event in St. Kitts yesterday, CWI President Ricky Skerritt also confirmed the development, saying: “The West Indies women are actually out of Africa at the moment, in the Middle East, and essentially on their way home.
“The ICC made a very quick decision to cancel the tournament.”
The West Indies played just one match in the World Cup qualifiers, beating Irish women by six wickets last week.
They were due to face Sri Lanka in their second match on Saturday, but the match was called off after a member of the Asian team’s support staff was tested positive for coronavirus.
With the tournament’s cancellation, the Caribbean, Bangladesh and Pakistan advance to next year’s showpiece in New Zealand, as the highest ranked teams.